Due Date: August 26, 10pm
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to create a unique post on the main course website.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to add a comment to an existing post on the main course website.
- Demonstrate an understanding for how to modify your personal profile information on the main course website.
This Website was developed with something called WordPress. WordPress, to put it very simply, and to understate the value of the tool, is an open-source blogging platform. Because it is open-source, and it has been around for many years, it has millions of users. Many of whom have developed some pretty sophisticated plugins that enhance what could have been just another blogging platform into a high-end content management and Website publishing tool.
This semester we will be learning about and using many new technologies, not the least of which is WordPress. This Website uses an installation of WordPress hosted on NC State’s servers, however you can also obtain your own WordPress Website, and have it hosted for free at WordPress, by visiting their Website: http://www.wordpress.com
You can also, if you have the skills and your own server space available that supports PHP and MySQL, install a copy of the software and host it yourself by visiting http://www.wordpress.org
To begin getting comfortable in using this Website and in creating comments on Posts and in starting your own Posts, please do the following:
- First, review the information about using WordPress and this Website on this page:
- Next, change the name that will be displayed when you add comments and create your own posts. Do do this, modify your profile and add your actual first name under the field for “Nickname” and choose to “Display name publicly as” that name from the dropdown menu on this page. Then, save the changes. You can also change your password on this page. (You will need to log into this website first. If you do not have a username and password please contact your instructor. To access your Profile, click on your name in the upper right hand corner of the website.)
- Then, browse the “Best Of” category on this Website and post a comment on a previous students’ work. (You will need to log in first.)
- Finally, create your own unique post under the category “In the News”, “Conversations”, or “Exhibits & Lectures”. Please be sure and include an image in your post! (Please do not create new Posts under “Best Of” or “Projects”, as these are areas reserved for the instructor.) If you create a post under “Exhibits & Lecture” please be sure this is an art or design related event, and please give at least two days notice before the event ends. (Extra credit is given for comments under posts in “Exhibits & Lectures”. Learn more under Grades in the Syllabus.)